Monday, December 12, 2011

Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate

I've been wanting to try one of these Salted Caramel Hot Chocolates at Starbucks, but I always seem to go back to my usual every time I'm there...a Chai Latte! And, for 4+ bucks for something you may not enjoy....I'd rather try making it myself for a fraction of the cost.  
I was super cold today as it was a frigid 50 something degrees...yes, that's frigid! I no longer live in the Indiana below zero temp winters, so I'm allowed to be cold at 50 something degrees.  So I wanted a nice and warm drink to heat me up.  I thought it would be the perfect time to try out that hot chocolate. 

A Beautiful Mess seemed to have just the right recipe I was going for.  Something very rich and more dessert-like than your normal hot chocolate.  And I wanted to make my own caramel drizzle, so I used this recipe by Ina Garten on foodnetwork.com.  

Once I had the hot chocolate and caramel sauce going on the stove I realized....
You can't have hot chocolate without gluttonous amounts of whipped cream! And my fridge didn't have any in sight.  SO, I made my own whipped cream following this recipe here from allrecipes.com.  

I'm telling ya...if you want an arm workout, make your own whipped cream using a whisk!  Both arms will be tired out, and you will feel like you deserved every sip of that decadent hot chocolate.  

I topped my hot chocolate with a bunch of marshmallows as well...not homemade ;-) Maybe that'll be my next blog post.  
 It was so rich, I could only finish half! But it was one of the best hot chocolates I've had! 
Maybe, I'll go back to Starbucks and try their's out now ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment