Friday, December 9, 2011

Chocolate Peppermint Bark Roll

Before making the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll...I'd never really made rolled up cakes before.  But I LOVE the look of them and the idea that you can not only garnish the inside with a fantastic frosting/filling...the outside is fair game as well.  


I've since re-made the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll...sans-food coloring.  And it was a hit for a birthday bash! So, making another rolled up cake seemed like a great idea for Mike's Holiday Party for work.  


I found this Chocolate Peppermint Bark Roll recipe on Baker's Royale.


What You'll Need...
For the Chocolate Cake:

  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2/3 cup sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
  • 1/3 cup sifted cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
  • Pinch of baking soda
  • 6 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Follow the recipe here to make the cake.


For the Peppermint Buttercream Frosting:
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
5 tablespoons of heavy cream
2 cups confectioner sugar
½ cup chopped Peppermint Andes (I wish I could've found these but I didn't...so I used Dove Peppermint Bark squares instead)


Place all ingredients in a bowl and beat until smooth.


For the Chocolate Sauce:
2/3 cups dark chocolate (I used semi-sweet chocolate chips)
2 tablespoons heavy cream
4 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted
4-5 tablespoons water, warm (I only needed to use 2 tablespoons till I obtained pouring consistency)
Place the chocolate and heavy cream in a bowl over simmering water.  It says to wait 2-3 minutes for the chocolate to melt before stirring but I found the chocolate burns at the bottom of the bowl, so stir away.  Then add the powdered sugar and stir to mix.  Add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until you've obtained pouring consistency.  (I only needed 2 tablespoons).  Set sauce aside until cool.  
Assembly:
Unroll the chocolate cake and spread the buttercream frosting 1/4 inch thick all over.  Then, roll the cake long ways.  I then rolled the cake in aluminum foil and chilled in the fridge for 30 minutes.  Once you are ready to consume the cake....pour the chocolate sauce on top and sprinkle with peppermint bark shavings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment