Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Pizza Rolls

I have an upcoming Christmas get together that I'm hosting and I wanted to have Costco's pepperoni pizza rolls on hand because they were hoovered up right quick at a past Christmas party and a huge favorite of mine.  On a recent trip to Costco I was saddened by missing pizza rolls.  Couldn't find them to save my life!

Since my Mini Apple Pies were such a hit and I had a box of leftover pie crust...I thought I'd figure out a way to make my own pizza roll.  You can add to this recipe as much as your creativity lets you and substitutions will work as well.

I used a half box of pie crust to make 8 pizza rolls.

What You'll Need:
Cookie Sheet
A sprinkle of flour
1/2 package of pie crust (I'm pretty sure Pillsbury Crescent Rolls would work just as well or even better!)
4 tbsp of melted butter
8 heaping spoonfulls of tomato sauce of choice (I used a sausage/garlic combo)
Your choice of cheese (I used provolone bc that's what I had on hand and it was bomb diggigity!)
Oregano
Tooth picks

Preheat the oven to 350!  Flour the cookie sheet so the pie crust won't stick.  Unroll the pie crust on the cookie sheet.
Use a brush to cover the pie crust in melted butter, but save at least half of the butter for later. 
Cut the pie crust into 8 wedges.  
Place a heaping spoonful of tomato sauce onto each wedge and place cheese on top with a sprinkle of oregano.  As you can see from my pictures, I added the cheese first and then the sauce...works better the other way around though.  You get less sauce spilling out the sides.
Roll each wedge starting with wide end and place a toothpick in each so they don't unroll. 
Brush the remaining butter on top of each roll and bake for 15-20 minutes.  

I prefer a chewy rather than a crunchy crust so I took mine out at around 15 minutes.  

Again, add meats, cheeses, garlic, veggies, fruits...whatever your heart desires! These are super simple to put together and sooo yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment