Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Almond Shortbread Cookies

I always seem to forget that I really enjoy shortbread until it's presented to me, and then I suddenly remember "oh how I love you so", and can't seem to get enough!  The shortbread must be buttery and soft, not too crumbly and maybe just maybe, half dipped in chocolate? Oh sure, why not!




For some reason, the other day I remembered I love shortbread cookies.  Probably because it's the Christmas season now and Christmas cookies are going to pop out of nowhere everywhere you go.  And so I thought to make some shortbread cookies of my own.


I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com that immediately jumped out at me because it happened to contain Almond extract! For some reason I LOVE almond in anything and that goes for Amaretto as well bc of it's almondy flavor.  I always have Almond Extract on hand but I've never seemed to really use much of it...so I was happy to be able to bake up a combo of almond and shortbread!! 
However, I'm not a fan of mixing fruit with my desserts.  I have a whole long spiel on that that I won't bore you with, but this recipe calls for maraschino cherries in the centers...I left them out.  


What You'll Need:

  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Almond Extract
  • 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 5 maraschino cherries, each cut into 8 pieces (I would say this is optional ;-) 


1) Preheat the oven to 350. Mix the flour and nutmeg in a medium bowl and set aside.  
2) Beat the butter, shortening, sugar, and extracts together in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
3) Gradually add the flour mixture and stir until well mixed. 
4) I added 1/3 cup of water to the dough because it was dry.  This was just enough as you don't want sticky dough.  
5) Roll into teaspoon size balls and place on an non-greased cookie sheet.  Flatten balls with the palm of your hand.  Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.  Let cool on a wire rack. 


I dusted the cookies with powdered sugar before consuming 5 on my own ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment