Tuesday, November 15, 2011

How to make your own...

Bath Salts!

I had a really cute bottle lying around and I didn't want to throw it out, but didn't quite know what to do with it...

Well, I was browsing through the aisles at Michael's (which can take years!) and found an aisle of items to create your own bath salts.  I'd come across a tutorial before on Salt Works so I knew exactly what I needed...bath salts and essential oil.  

I found some Mineral & Dead Sea Salt in a 2 lb. bottle.  

I picked up two fragrance oils: lavender and vanilla.  I thought they'd make a good combination.  There was also special coloring for fragrance projects as well but I decided against it.  


First, I tested the salts with three drops of lavender and thought it was a bit strong for how much salt I used so I added more salt, and then added three drops of vanilla.  The vanilla really helped to balance the harsh lavender smell and it was a perfect blend.  I just really went for a trial and error method and tested small bits at a time.   

Then I stirred up the salts and added it to the bottle.  I shaved down an actual wine cork to fit the top of my bottle.  Added a homemade tag and bow to top it off!

This would be a perfect idea for a homemade gift.  You could even use mason jars instead of apothecary bottles for a cheaper version!

No comments:

Post a Comment