Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Black Velvet "Starry Night" Cupcakes

Mike's brother Scott's birthday is the day before Halloween and I knew I'd be making a cake or cupcakes for the family birthday get together.  I wanted to create a spooky/Halloween themed cupcake.  I know Scott likes my Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese frosting, so I wanted to play off of that.

I got these great Halloween night cupcake wrappers with bats, skeletons, and moons on them.  I wanted to match my cupcake with the colors.  


I've got to preface and say traditional Red Velvet cake is chocolate in flavor.  Here's the trick before the treat... I used a box of Betty Crocker yellow cake with Buff Black food coloring gel (no chocolate in sight, sorry if the "Black Velvet" threw you off).  

I put several drops of food coloring gel in to start and added more drops till I got just the right color.


I know, it looks kinda like cement.  

The color turned out just how I wanted them to. Perfect black as night cupcakes!


This whole cupcake adventure was all about embarking on use of my Buff food coloring gel.  I used teal and sapphire for the homemade cream cheese frosting.  


For those of you interested in the cream cheese frosting recipe: Cream together two sticks of unsalted (softened) butter with 1 pound of cream cheese (2 bricks) until well blended. Add 4 cups of confectioners sugar and 1 tsp. of vanilla extract.  Stir till clumps have dissolved.  


I put both colors in two different frosting bags.  I used them together with only one frosting top to get a swirled outcome.  

See the two-toned frosting here?


Then, I sprinkled on some yellow confetti stars and black sugar crystals!


They were pretty much a hit for Scotty's Birthday and a Halloween treat :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment