Thursday, September 1, 2011

Arroz Con Leche

That's just what I made today!
I knew I liked rice pudding from ages ago when my sister put the Kozy Shack Original Rice Rudding into the grocery cart. I'm still not sure how she knew it would be good...but it was phenomenal!
Then, while taking a breakfast run to the cafeteria at work one day, I stumbled upon Arroz Con Leche. Usually, anything sweet for breakfast is right up my alley! And it was heavenly. The hot milk, and the texture of the rice, and it's sweetness combined to make a quite sinful breakfast. Unfortunately (or fortunately for my tummy) the cafeteria only offered Arroz Con Leche on Fridays. Therefore, it became a dangerous weekly routine. :-/
Now that I'm no longer working onsite...I thought I'd try my hand at figuring out how to make Arroz Con Leche. I found this great recipe from Food Network Star: Ingrid Hoffman. The process is very easy but does require a bit of time. However, there's a lot of down time in between some steps.

Step 1: Soak 1 cup of long grain white rice (I used Jasmine rice) into 4 cups of water with 2 cinnamon sticks for 1 hour. See...I told you there'd be some down time ;-)
Step 2: Heat the water and rice to a boil (about 5 minutes) and then lower heat to cook for 10 minutes or until water is almost evaporated.
Step 3: While boiling water...beat 1 egg in medium bowl and then add 3 cups of whole milk (I used 2%) and mix well. Add the egg mixture to the rice. Then, add 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (12 oz.) and 1 tablespoon of Vanilla extract to the rice. Heat over low-medium heat, stirring carefully. Heat until it thickens for about 25 to 35 minutes. Note: As it cools, the rice mixture will continue to thicken!
Step 4: Consume!!!
As you can see, I topped mine with some extra cinnamon!
My craving has successfully been satisfied and...I think I ate too much ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment