Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Treats

I found this absolutely adorable dog photo via pinterest and at first glance I thought it was just that...an adorable dog picture.  

Then I clicked on the pic thinking it might take me to more adorable dog photos but it was even better...a super easy dog treat recipe! 

Half of a recipe being easy for me is that I don't have to travel to the grocery store to buy any of the ingredients.  However, I had just run out of all my pumpkin puree so I did in fact need to run to the store, but it was worth it in the end because let me tell you...my pup is one piccccky eater and she LOVED her homemade treats.  
"I'm a picky eater"

As a puppy (which I like to think she still is) we went through 5-6 different kinds of dog food till we found the one she actually liked, Science Diet it is!  She's never been food motivated so it's kinda difficult when you go out and buy treats thinking, Oh yea, she'll definitely like these...just to get the reaction of an ungrateful child ;-) She'll literally spit them out before you! We have a whole Costco sized bag of Beggin' Strips just waiting to be devoured because apparently Sophie's refined palate prefers Milo's sausages instead.  
Anyhoo, knowing Sophie does actually enjoy herself some pumpkin and peanut butter I was all over this recipe by Use Real Butter.  

The ingredients are so simple: 2.5 cups whole wheat flour (I chose whole grain), 2 eggs, 2/3 cup pumpkin puree, and 3 tbsp. peanut butter. 
Mix it all up in a stand-up mixer with paddle attachment on medium for a minute.

Ball up dough on a floured surface.  
Use a roller to flatten it out to 1/4 inch. 
I chose a dog bone cookie cutter but whatever suits your fancy.  
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.  I baked for 30 for a crunchier cookie.  
Let them cool for a bit and then onward to the taste test...
It was as if Sophie knew I was baking something for her, she usually just does her own thing while I'm in the kitchen.  This time...she kept coming in to check on things ;-)  

"Mama, are they ready yet?" 
 "I'm being a good girl and waiting" 
 The first bite...not a gentle one at all ;-) 
 She loved every bit of it!
What you don't see here is that later we heard something in the kitchen and Sophie...no where to be found.  I go into the kitchen and I see a half eaten cookie on the ground as she's devouring the other half!
She had stolen 2 cookies off the cooling rack!! Thought she'd help herself to a couple more.  I couldn't believe it.  

Well, we now know she has a new favorite treat :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment