Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Subtle Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies



Okay, I've been pretty bad again with the frequency of posts...or rather, the non-frequency.  The bf and I have been busy packing up our apartment and moving into our first HOUSE together! It's been non-stop packing and making nightly trips to the house and bringing Sophie with us so she can get acclimated to the new place.
As you can see, we've still got many more trips to go...

And we've been rug shopping since we have hard-wood floors now!

Last night, we Pledged the wine hutch and organized it in our new dining room


One of the things we've been trying to be good about is eating ALL the food we have left in the apartment so we don't have to end up moving it.  It's been working out thus far.  I've devoured the bread stash with PBJ sandwiches and stack of tortillas making cheese quesadillas...and I'm slowly diminishing my baking items.

Last night I had a craving for cookies and Mike started fumbling through the pantry...and out pops a giant Oatmeal container.  Needless to say, he wanted oatmeal cookies. Well, since I wanted some chocolate chip cookies...I brought back these bad boys...The Best Ever Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, but I had to incorporate the oatmeal somehow.

In order to add the oatmeal without really changing the cookie consistency, I figured I'd just need to substitute some of the flour for the oats.  Kelsey's recipe calls for 2 cups of flour...I used 1 1/2 cups of flour and then added 1/2 a cup of oatmeal.  Well, once it was all mixed in, there just wasn't enough oats. Sooo, I added another 1/2 cup of oats.


Now it all just depends on your oat preference, Mike would've had the bulk of the cookie be oats but I really enjoyed the subtle hint of oat with a true cookie foundation.

I think you could probably make these cookies with just 1 cup of flour and 2 cups of oats for a solid oatmeal cookie.  I'm going to have to try that next since "Picky Eater Mikey" wants a real oatmeal cookie.

So here goes my recipe:
Adapted from the "Apple A Day" Blog: 

3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened 
3/4 c. brown sugar 
1/4 c. granulated sugar 
1 egg 
2 tsp. vanilla extract 
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour 
1 cup rolled oats
2 tsp. xanthum gum 
1 tsp. baking soda 
1/2 tsp. salt 
1 c. bittersweet chocolate chips

Follow Kelsey's recipe and add the oats in when you add the flour.  Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.  These cookies require a bit more baking time than the plain choc chip.  

Let cool (just a bit), and devour!

No comments:

Post a Comment