Sunday, January 22, 2012

Bananas

I've always wanted to make a cupcake with a filling, but I never really come across any fillings and cupcake combinations that I would like.  So, I had to take it upon myself to create something I would enjoy.
I had such compliments from the Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes that I made from the How Sweet It Is recipe, but I decided tweak it a bit this time.  Instead of using sour cream, I simply used milk instead.  I really like how milk creates a denser more moist cupcake. I've used milk in all the recipes I've come up with on my own thus far.

I read on Baking Bites that the higher fat content of the milk the more moist the cake will be!  Good to know :-) And she describes adding milk to baking as creating a "richer mouth feel"...I like that.

Back to my filling....I thought a Banana Cream Pie filling would be a wonderful addition to the already loved Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes.  I used this recipe from Allrecipes.com but on a much smaller scale.  I pretty much fourthed the recipe...yes, I fourthed it.  I know, fourthed is probably not a word, but that's okay.

Here's What You'll Need:

1/4 cup white sugar
1.5 tbsp of all-purpose flour
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup of milk
1 egg yolk beaten
1 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 banana - mashed

1) Add sugar, flour, and salt to a medium saucepan.  Stir in the milk gradually.  Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture is bubbly.  Keep stirring for 2 more minutes and then remove from burner.
2) Add small amount of heated mixture to beaten egg yolk and stir.  Place heated mixture back on burner and add egg yolk mixture.  Stir constantly for another 2 minutes.
3) Remove from heat and add butter, vanilla, and mashed banana.  Place in fridge for 30 minutes to cool and thicken.
4) Core middle of banana cupcakes once cooled and add cream filling.  Top with frosting!

Basically the cream filling on its own is a wonderful Banana Pudding! And the size of my recipe would be perfect for two pudding desserts...top with whipped cream and maybe some chopped almonds or toasted coconut....yum!
Let me know of any filling suggestions you might have.  I'm thinking peanut butter and chocolate for the next one....like a Reese's cup! Oh yeeeeaa :-) 

Happy Sunday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment