Saturday, November 19, 2011

Deviled Eggs

I want to call this the "best ever" deviled egg recipe, but there's really nothing special and I truly believe that you can't really mess up a deviled egg.  I could eat trays and trays of deviled eggs!  I'm pretty sure when I made these for my best friend's bridal shower, I devoured the majority of them.  So, if I'm in attendance at your event and there's deviled eggs...you best get to the event before me ;-)

I randomly had a hankerin' (this might be an Indiana term....Mike reminds me that I throw them out from time to time) for some deviled eggs. And I thought, deviled eggs are a great appetizer or side dish for any event, all year round.  So, maybe you have a potluck style Thanksgiving coming up with family or friends or are preparing a Thanksgiving dinner yourself.  This may be just the thing!

Let me tell you, it doesn't take much time at all, the ingredients you probably have lying around, and it's just super easy.

Now, I'd like to tell you where I got the recipe.  I don't like to take any credit for recipes, because they are usually quite simply not mine, but I really have no idea where I got this one. But I will say, I tweaked it as I'm a pro at doing....sooo... I guess....in a way...it is mine!!

What You'll Need:
6 Hard boiled eggs
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp of mustard (not the spice, the actual yellow bottled mustard...I had no idea and got the spice the first time.  Have yet to open that darn bottle :-/)
1/2 tsp salt
Paprika to sprinkle
Sweet Relish (optional and my tweak point)

I used Goodegg.com to find a great tutorial on the best way to hard boil an egg.  They have instructions for getting the best color yolk as well as the easiest way to peel off the shell. I highly recommend going here first and enlightening yourself!

1. Slice eggs in half lengthwise and remove the yolks into a small bowl.  Set the whites aside.
2. Mash yolks with a fork.
3. Add mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, mustard, and salt.  Mix well!
4. Stuff or pipe into egg whites.  Sprinkle paprika on top.

Here's my tweak: I add a bit of sweet relish to the yolk mix.  It's nothing without it, but it's all up to your preferences.  And feel free to add as little or as much as you'd like.  I added about 1 Tbsp.

As you can see, I did not pipe the mix into the whites during my day of random deviled egg hunger....I was the only one devouring them and wanted to eat the mix right out of the bowl.  And I tend to go a bit heavy on the paprika :-/

However, for my best friend's bridal shower they were piped! Just use a frosting bag as you would normally :-) 
You may find your furry friends would like some as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment