Monday, October 14, 2013

"If I was going somewhere...

I was running!" - Forrest Gump

I absolutely love this movie.  Brings back so many funny childhood memories when I would watch it with my Aunt and Uncle.  I was such a little actress when I was little and would act out all the scenes.

Ironically this movie happened to be on TV the other day and I was watching it while running around the house.  He truly was a "runnin fool" in that movie.

That same weekend the movie was on, my sister was talking to me about being a pacer for a 50 mile endurance run she was thinking about doing in April of next year.  This means I would be running with her for the last 20 miles.  I actually have never ran anything over 13.1 miles.



I've always wanted to run a full on marathon but it is something I've always thought was an impossible feat.  My sister later decided she was going to run the Napa Valley Marathon in March instead and wondered if I was interested.  For me, registering for the event is my ultimate commitment to start training and finish the race.

 My sister and I before our first race together.


So...

I had to consult one of my best friends who has completed the SF Marathon twice now and has been my running partner through most of all my races.  She said she had no doubts I would be able to finish it, but it would be the time commitment to train.

Us crazy girls before the Color Run in 2012.


Already my schedule is jam packed.  I wake up up every day at 4:45am, drive 30 minutes to catch my companies corporate bus at 6:05am every day.  The ride is roughly 2 hours to work.  I typically nap the entire way if I can and get to work at 8.  I take an early bus home at 4pm where I work for an hour and nap another hour when I get back to my car at about 5:30pm to 6pm every day, then another 30min to an hour drive home (depending on traffic).  This day is enough to make someone super tired despite the fact that I'm sitting most of the day.

Sooo, with my half marathon routine, I've made myself continue training after work despite the incredibly long day.  It's been hard and there's been lots of ups and downs but it's kept me much more happy because I am active and it's something I truly love to do as hard as running is.

Best shoes ever...Brooks Adrenaline


So I decided within a couple hours to sign up! My training will continue right after the half marathon on Oct. 20th till March 3rd where I will be running with my sister to complete my first Full Marathon.  I'm scared beyond my wits but I'm ready to conquer something I've wanted to do for awhile now.  It'll be nice to have my sister there with me to cross the finish line together.  It'll be our second race together and I'm ready to train.

Wish me luck and I will be sure to check in with my progress along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment